Video Search Engine Optimization – What is it, and why do I need it?
One of the most underutilized SEO strategies is Video search engine optimization. Videos are underutilized in the world of SEO, and even though brands are incorporating video content into their overall online marketing strategies, most SEOs don’t place a high priority on it. A lot of SEO content relates to info-graphics, images, written content, but not video. Internet marketing is in large one of the most effective marketing strategies used today. So how does one find your site once it is on the web? Just because you build, it does not mean they come. Ensuring your site follows good SEO practices improves how people find your website, improves user experience, and overall usability.
What makes Video Search Engine Optimization important?
Video is the most highly consumed digital media and works with SEO to give you more visibility. Videos are easily shareable” and “linkable.” In other words, relevant and informative content gives people the impulse to share and encourages publishers to link to you.
Getting Your Video Shared!
- Your video must be high-quality, engaging, and valuable to the reader to get the most organic growth
- Upload videos to YouTube
- Additionally, maximize your exposure and improve your rankings by linking to your video on all your social networks
- Add closed captions
YouTube is the key to getting your videos to rank. Because Google is a database of text, the more closed captioning you can attach to your video, the more recognition you earn from search engines. Captions and video transcriptions give your video the substantial text it needs to rank higher with your digital competitors.
Here is an example of an SEO Video we’ve done in collaboration with Matt K. Pro Video that incorporates SEO strategies and uses instructional design practices to ensure viewers retain/learn from the information provided.
The video uses:
- Closed captioning
- Meta tags
- Analytic tracking
- Multimedia principlesModality Principle – Learning happens when there are graphics and narrations instead of just animation and on-screen text.
- Multimedia Principle – Words and pictures help instill concepts better than words alone.
- Spatial Contiguity Principle – Placing corresponding words and pictures near rather than far from each other on-screen helps build a mental connection.
- Personalization Principle – Conversational style information is more straightforward to process than formal style.
- Voice Principle – Learning happens when a clear human voice is used rather than a machine-generated or heavily accented voice.
Why Use ViV’s Design for Your SEO Video Needs?
I hope by now that you can see that we’re not ordinary Web developers and Interactive Media designers. Web and interactive media is more than just a job for me. There is a genuine passion and a desire to provide individuals with the best practices and services that I can offer to help their services or products become known.
Doing what others do for the sake of doing it isn’t my style. There is a lot of research, time, and experience that comes with my services when you hire ViV’s Design. All of the people that work for and with V.i.V.’s Design impact the web and interactive media world. If you would like to have your video created, have questions, or want to reach out, feel free to contact me or set up an appointment!
Clark, R. C., & Mayer, R. E. (2016). E-Learning and the science of instruction: Proven guidelines for consumers and designers of multimedia learning.
Hardwick, J. (2018, July 16). The Secret Guide to Video and SEO. Retrieved from https://neilpatel.com/blog/guide-to-video-seo/
Walsh, K. (2018, July 4). Mayer’s 12 Principles of Multimedia Learning are a Powerful Design Resource | Emerging Education Technologies. Retrieved from https://www.emergingedtech.com/2017/06/mayers-12-principles-of-multimedia-learning-are-a-powerful-design-resource/
What is Instructional Design? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.td.org/what-is-instructional-design
YouTube Video SEO (Definitive Guide To Ranking Videos In 2018). (2016, October 7). Retrieved from https://onlinemediamasters.com/youtube-video-seo/